HIPAA Omnibus Final Rule
The HIPAA-HITECH Omnibus Final Rule has been released and was officially published January 25, 2013. Businesses need to take steps to be compliant with many requirements by September 23, 2013. And there will be much work to do. Among other issues:
- There will be a need for changes in Notices of Privacy Practices.
- There will be greater enforcement efforts, which is already being seen in many places, and more emphasis on penalties.
- There are changes to breach notification requirements with more events being reportable.
- There is direct liability for Business Associates and Covered Entities will need to monitor Business Associates more closely.
- The Rule contemplates electronic copies of electronically stored information.